Friday, April 20, 2012

Rain, rain, go away


One of these days I might actually get to see the big Buddha. I finally have a couple days off from work and it rains. And rains. I ran into a Frenchwoman the other day that told me not to bother going to Lantau because with the weather as it is, I wouldn't be able to see Buddha's head. I've also been told not to bother going to the peak unless it's clear. The two things I need to see most are still unseen. Oy.
At least I have a partner in crime for a few days. Beth has arrived from cold, rainy Seattle and she says, "At least it's warm here." :) That was before we wandered for a few hours out in the rain. But alas, we were able to scratch a couple things off the list. Jade Market, Ladies Market, Tin Hau Temple (one of them at least). I'd been looking forward to visiting the jade market, and might make it back there, but when every meter someone new is hounding you, I don't exactly consider it a pleasant shopping experience. The ladies market has some promising items, but purchasing items while maneuvering a wet umbrella just wasn't very tempting. Another day perhaps ;)
Beth did quite well for just arriving. She was awake all day before crashing out on her couch. She has a room near Chungking Mansion and let me use her wifi to load pics onto Facebook while enjoying the dry weather inside. We both live in rainy climates but we recognize the drastic difference. In the Pacific Northwest we don't find much need to use our umbrellas. Today I thought I was going to take one to the carotid. I thought before, 'Wow. What a lot of people.' Today, it was, 'Wow. What a lot of umbrellas.' Beth said she felt like a boxer with all the bobbing and weaving. I'm working on a strategy, but not sure that there is one winning one- stay close to the curb- or if a combination is necessary for survival-stay low and to your left. Either way, I'm ready for it to stop.
Bright side*my hair doesn't seem as frizzy* :D

No comments:

Post a Comment