Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Relaxing too much to blog

My apologies:) Since we arrived in Zadar, Croatia we have been either busy with activities (Plitvice Lakes Sunday, Preko on Ugljan Island today) and relaxing so I haven't had time to sit and think about writing. 
Zadar is beautiful. We are staying in the old town, and old towns are my favorite places. The streets are usually narrow so they are mainly pedestrian only. And let's not forget the streets are not in grids. These streets grew organically for one reason or another. Zadar is actually a walled city. I think this is the first one I've stayed in. It's amazing how many parts are intact, and really how much they have excavated or preserved. Streets that people have walked on for hundreds of years. There are columns & other items sitting in the area that was the site of the roman forum and I couldn't help but run my hand over these marble items that were carved so many years ago. It makes me feel connected to history and marvel at their skill and knowledge that has created this thing that is still here. Then you see a dog pee somewhere and you realize there probably is not a place here where a dog hasn't peed. I mean, it's a walled city on a peninsula and it's been here forever. Certainly at some point in time a dog has peed in every inch, there's just no way it hasn't happened. That's all I'm saying. Watch where you put your hand;)

No comments:

Post a Comment